23 Motivational Quotes to Help You Overcome Anxiety
A lack of emotional self-management has serious health ramifications — and can jeopardize your career.
PHOTO CREDIT: Getty Images
Stress. We all experience it -- some more intensely than others. Without a doubt, stress and anxiety in the workplace is becoming rampant as numerous studies show that job stress continues to rise in all sectors. We all hear stories: companies that expect workers to pull all-nighters to finish a project, financial analysts that work 120 hours per week, or a boss who imposes unrealistic deadlines and expects answers to emails at all hours of the day or night. The overall perception of many is of having little control over intensely escalating demands.
The repercussions of this frenetic pace are concerning. Research data provides a strong correlation between work stressors such as long work hours, and negative health outcomes, which may include a decrease in both output and quality of work; a rising number and rate of accidents; burnout; depression, and a reduction of performance at optimum levels. Heightened levels of stress can also lead to the inability to effectively handle conflict, and can cost billions dollars of lost productivity each year, further causing a breakdown in relationships and trust.
Taming your stress is not simple but it is achievable. Seriously examining how you respond under pressure is the first productive step in the right direction. Shifting your perception can be your path to freedom from anxiety. In other words, learning how to cope with adversity should be a priority for anyone in business. Remember, perspective is everything.
While motivational quotes won't solve your problem, they may encourage you to think differently about your current circumstances -- or inspire you to take action. Hopefully some of the above links will provide further insight as well.
Here are some quotes that may help you get through a challenging day:
- "Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future." -- Deepak Chopra
- "You must learn to let go. Release the stress. You were never in control anyway." -- Steve Maraboli
- "Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations. The best is yet to come." -- Zig Ziglar
- "If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward." -- Martin Luther King Jr.
- "Just when the caterpillar thought the world was ending, he turned into a butterfly." -- Proverb
- "If you trade your authenticity for safety, you may experience the following: anxiety, depression, eating disorders, addiction, rage, blame, resentment, and inexplicable grief." -- Brené Brown
- "If you don't like something change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it." -- Mary Engelbreit
- "Unexpected kindness is the most powerful, least costly, and most underrated agent of human change." -- Bob Kerrey
- "The way you tell your story to yourself matters." -- Amy Cuddy
- "When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be."-- Lao Tzu
- "Worry often gives a small thing a big shadow." -- Swedish Proverb
- "Act the way that you want to feel." -- Gretchen Rubin
- "What people in the world think of you is really none of your business." -- Martha Graham
- "To change ourselves effectively, we first had to change our perceptions." -- Stephen R. Covey
- "You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do." -- Eleanor Roosevelt
- "Loving people live in a loving world. Hostile people live in a hostile world. Same world." -- Wayne W. Dyer
- "A positive attitude gives you power over your circumstances instead of your circumstances having power over you." -- Joyce Meyer
- "The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another." -- William James
- "It's not stress that kills us, it is our reaction to it." -- Hans Selye
- "Don't underestimate the value of Doing Nothing, of just going along, listening to all the things you can't hear, and not bothering." -- Winnie the Pooh
- "Worry is like a rocking chair: it gives you something to do but never gets you anywhere." -- Erma Bombeck
- "If you could only sense how important you are to the lives of those you meet; how important you can be to the people you may never even dream of. There is something of yourself that you leave at every meeting with another person." -- Fred Rogers
- "Nothing can bring you peace but yourself." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson