21 Quotes From Tom Hanks Movies That Will Make You Love People Again
They’ll also make you laugh.
PHOTO CREDIT: Getty Images
Tom Hanks is one of the most beloved actors in the world. In 2016, he topped the list in a Harris Poll of favorite U.S. movie stars. He won the same award in 2002, 2004, 2005 and 2013.
The truth is, it's hard not to love him. He's one of those people who is so obviously in the right profession--whose work lines up not just with his skill set, but his very soul, that it's a joy to watch him bring characters alive on the screen.
In what is perhaps one of the most fitting roles of his career, he will be playing Mr. Rogers in A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, an film set to come out this year. The first picture of him in the role is, again, a joy.
If you're searching for inspiration or just a reason to love people again, whether in your personal life or on your team at work, here are some classic quotes from Tom Hanks movies that will lift your spirits:
- "How about coffee, drinks, dinner, a movie ... or as long as we both shall live?" - Joe Fox, You've Got Mail
- "All my life I've been waiting for someone, and when I find her, she's... she's a fish." - Allen Bauer, Splash
- "That wasn't flying. That was falling with style!" - Woody, Toy Story
- "Are you crying? Are you crying?! There's no crying! There's no crying in baseball!" - Jimmy Dugan, A League of Their Own
- "The Godfather is the i-ching. The Godfather is the sum of all wisdom. The Godfather is the answer to any question. What should I pack for my summer vacation? 'Leave the gun, take the cannoli.' What day of the week is it? 'Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Wednesday.'" - Joe Fox, You've Got Mail
- "These are the simple rules: No barking, no growling, you will not lift your leg to anything in this house. This is not your room." - Detective Scott Turner, Turner & Hooch
- "Adorable. Dammit, why can't you look terrible? I've been out walking the streets trying to convince myself I wasn't in love with you, and I come back here and you're barefoot and you're adorable." - David Bradley, Every Time We Say Goodbye
- Librarian: "Sir, wouldn't you be more comfortable in a study room?"
Andrew Beckett: "No. Would it make you more comfortable?" - Andrew Beckett, Philadelphia
- "There's no greater joy than that seen through the eyes of a child, and there's a little bit of a child in all of us." - Walt Disney, Saving Mr. Banks
- "He better be worth it. He better go home and cure a disease, or invent a longer-lasting light bulb." - Captain Miller, Saving Private Ryan
- "It was a million tiny little things that -- when you added them all up -- they meant we were supposed to be together, and I knew it. I knew it the very first time I touched her. It was like coming home, only to no home I'd ever known. I was just taking her hand to help her out of a car, and I knew. It was like magic." - Sam Baldwin, Sleepless in Seattle
- "Patricia makes coffee nervous." - Joe Fox, You've Got Mail
- "I don't ask for much. I don't ask to be rich, and I don't ask to be famous, and I don't ask to play center field for the New York Yankees. I just want to get married and have a wife, and a house, and I want to have a kid, and I want to go see him be a tooth in the school play!" Allen Bauer, Splash
- "The whole purpose of places like Starbucks is for people with no decision-making ability whatsoever to make six decisions just to buy one cup of coffee. Short, tall, light, dark, caf, decaf, low-fat, non-fat, etc. So people who don't know what the hell they're doing or who on earth they are, can, for only $2.95, get not just a cup of coffee but an absolutely defining sense of self: Tall! Decaf! Cappuccino!" - Joe Fox, You've Got Mail
- "It's that every now and again--not often, but occasionally--you get to be a part of justice being done. That really is quite a thrill when that happens." - Andrew Beckett, Philadelphia
- "From now on, we live in a world where man has walked on the moon. And it's not a miracle, we just decided to go."- Jim Lovell, Apollo 13
- "It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great." - Jimmy Dugan, A League of Their Own
- Corporal Emerson Upham: "War educates the senses, calls into action the will, perfects the physical constitution, brings men into such swift and close collision in critical moments that man measures man.
Captain Miller: I guess that's Emerson's way of finding the bright side." - Captain Miller, Saving Private Ryan
- "I know what I have to do now. I gotta keep breathing. Because tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?" - Chuck Noland, Cast Away
- "You never know what events are to transpire to get you home." - Jim Lovell, Apollo 13
- "Reach for the sky!" -- Woody, Toy Story