Close Button
Newsletter Button

Sign up for our newsletter

The latest from Inc. Southeast Asia delivered to your inbox.

By signing up for newsletters, you are agreeing to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Need More Time in the Week? Do These Little Changes Now

If you’re struggling with time management, look to simple, killer advice from thought leaders Laura Vanderkam, Derek Sivers, Jenny Blake and Liz Funk

Share on
BY Damon Brown - 31 Oct 2017

PHOTO CREDIT: Getty Images

One of the worst things you can say is "I don't have enough time," as it is super rare that you don't. It usually means you have ill-defined priorities. As they say, everyone is given the same 24 hours - and Richard Branson still manages to get plenty done.

Instead, see how you can be more efficient with the time you have. Consider these four masterful ways to make your day seem much longer than it is.

Done is better than perfect: Time researcher Laura Vanderkam shared this with me and it helped me get my last book out the door (and it went on to become a best-seller). Most projects are fine, if not great at 90 percent of your original vision. The remaining 10 percent requires an exponentially higher amount of time and usually isn't worth the loss in energy and focus.

Say hell yes or no: As serial entrepreneur Derek Sivers famously put it, everything you do should be a "Hell yeah!" - or it is a "No". It doesn't mean skip the grunt work or, as I call it, dirty work, but rather that any path you choose should be something you truly want to see happen. The worst time management decision you can make is pursuing something that isn't worth your time.

Skip one-sided meetings: Pivot author Jenny Blake leans on 20/20 meetings. She'll take twenty minutes or more to talk about her needs and an equal amount of minutes to hear someone else's needs. Brain-picking sessions are out of the question, which means each conversation is time efficient and productive for both parties.

Keep emails to five sentences (or less): Entrepreneur Liz Funk keeps correspondence super short - and you should, too. A five-sentence limit improves the chances that others will respond, narrows your conversation down to the essentials and prevents you from belaboring over multi-paragraph email. Get the communication out and get back to your business.

inc-logo Join Our Newsletter!
The news all entrepreneurs need to know now.


McDonald’s Made A Massive Change To Its Vanilla Ice Cream Six Months Ago (And Didn’t Tell Anyone)

Read Next

This Tech Founder Runs a $1.8B Software Company. Now She’s Trying to Help L.A.’s Homeless

Read Next