18 Quotes on the Surprising Value of Losing
The winter offers lots of opportunity for losses. But if you do it right, you’ll bounce back stronger than ever.
PHOTO CREDIT: Getty Images
The middle of winter puts a lot of losers in the spotlight. It's awards season, and it can get brutal. At the Golden Globes and SAG Awards in January, most of the nominees lost, not to mention those who didn't get a nod. And at the upcoming Grammys and Oscars, the majority will go home disappointed. When one team wins the Super Bowl, 31 others are defeated; the Los Angeles Rams probably feel more like lambs. But just like the losing artists, if the Rams are a team worth their salt, they'll emerge from this stronger than ever.
There's a great deal to be learned by losing. That fact doesn't make it feel any better. But it does remind those who desire growth that this is the beginning of an opportunity. You have to break down existing muscle before you build bigger ones. The best way to begin is to fix your attitude. Don't waste time feeling sorry for yourself; lick your wounds, and get down to the business of getting better.
Here are quotes to help you realize the value of losing:
1. "Any coward can fight a battle when he's sure of winning; but give me the man who has pluck to fight when he's sure of losing." - George Eliot
3. "We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
4. "That's what learning is, after all; not whether we lose the game, but how we lose and how we've changed because of it and what we take away from it that we never had before, to apply to other games. Losing, in a curious way, is winning." - Richard Bach
5. "Losses have propelled me to even bigger places, so I understand the importance of losing. You can never get complacent because a loss is always around the corner. It's in any game that you're in - a business game or whatever - you can't get complacent." - Venus Williams
6. "You can't succeed if you don't know what losing is." - Garth Brooks
7. "You might win some, you might lose some. But you go in, you challenge yourself, you become a better man, a better individual, a better fighter." - Conor McGregor
8. "You have no choices about how you lose, but you do have a choice about how you come back and prepare to win again." - Pat Riley
9. "Losing a game is heartbreaking. Losing your sense of excellence or worth is a tragedy." - Joe Paterno
10. "I never thought of losing, but now that it' s happened, the only thing is to do it right. That's my obligation to all the people who believe in me. We all have to take defeats in life." - Muhammad Ali
11. "The second-worst thing in the world is betting on a golf game and losing. The worst is not betting at all." - Bobby Riggs
12. "It's okay to lose. Losing teaches you something. Having to try and going through the trials and tribulations to actually overcome, to get there, to win, to triumph, that's what makes life interesting." - Elizabeth Banks
13. "As a tennis player, you have to get used to losing every week. Unless you win the tournament, you always go home as a loser. But you have to take the positive out of a defeat and go back to work. Improve to fail better." - Stan Wawrinka
14. "You learn more from losing than winning. You learn how to keep going." - Morgan Wootten
15. "Losing is only temporary and not all encompassing. You must simply study it, learn from it, and try hard not to lose the same way again. Then you must have the self-control to forget about it." - John Wooden
16. "Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing." - Vince Lombardi
17. "The greatest test of courage on earth is to bear defeat without losing heart." - Robert Green Ingersoll
18. "Winning and losing isn't everything; sometimes, the journey is just as important as the outcome." - Alex Morgan